Friday 8 December 2006

Pissed as a Blog!

Oh good God! I'm drunk! Went to the pub tonight, The Punch Bowl, with a few people I used to work with. In the years I was at Barclaycard, it became the de-facto pub of residence. We nearly had a permanent reservation on the big table near the small beer-garden at one time. Was a good night, apart from having to answer the inevitable 'what are you doing?' question with: 'erm, well, nothing at the moment. I watch alot of TV, and drink alot of tea!'. There's no way of making that sound productive. None whatsoever. And that's the key, sound productive! Had I created a convincing narrative beforehand, now that would have been so much easier. 'I'm sending out CV's left, right and centre!', 'I'm visiting agencies willy-nilly'. It's not true though. I'm still as lost as I was when I quit.

The trouble with alcohol is that it makes you feel a strange combination of forceful and vulnerable at the same time. In this context it probably wasn't the best timing to have received an email from my long-ex-girlfriend, asking how I was. Not to put too fine-a-word on it, I didn't respond in the most civilised of manners. I mean, had she not spent the last few months of our relationship making me feel like crap then maybe such an email would have been better received. Now, to be honest, I am going to wake-up tomorrow morning with the most profound regret for the email I sent to her, alongside a very dibilitating hangover. It was hardly that bad, but good-form, and the fact that I've barely spoken to her for three years, means that it's going to appear like a bolt from the blue, when I should have just ignored her message like I generally do. The recent rise in alcohol consumption coinciding with the boom in instant communication technology is unfortunate, and no doubt responsible for the break-up of many relationships. My advice would be to incapacitate all methods of communication before embarking on a drinking binge. No matter how good an idea a message conceived at 2am may seem, it almost certainly isn't!

No comments: